View Single Post
Old July 30 2012, 08:55 PM   #333
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Honestly, though, I think I've watched STV about three times (as opposed to at least a dozen times each for STII, STIII, STIV and STVI), and I tend to just ignore it.
I used to ignore it, but more recently I changed my mind. The worst parts about it can be ignored or rationalized. There are only three lines referencing the center of the galaxy, so just ignore maybe half a minute of the film and that problem's solved. Ditto with the impossibly high turboshaft. And it's ridiculous that a photon torpedo -- an antimatter weapon more powerful than a nuclear bomb -- goes off maybe 50 feet behind the heroes and they're unscathed; but I rationalize it by assuming the torpedo actually detonated deep underground.

So that just leaves the plot and character issues, and while there are some annoyances there, I think a lot of it holds up fairly well. Sybok is an effective character, even if his abilities are nebulously defined. The key sequence with Sybok showing Spock and McCoy their pasts and Kirk refusing to have his pain released is actually quite effective and worthwhile. And Spock persuading General Korrd to help in the climax can be taken as the seed of his future diplomatic career and his role in UFP-Klingon detente in TUC.

So there's enough good stuff in the movie that I'm no longer willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater and dismiss the whole thing.
Those are good points. I agree that the Spock-past and McCoy-past scenes are very effective (particularly the McCoy scene). That was why I considered the possibility that it was some sort of odd shared dream. Not very plausible, but more plausible than a trip to the center of the galaxy, and given all the other bizarre phenomena we've come across in Star Trek, I think it's more likely than you'd think. (Residual mind meld effects anyone?)

And Sybok can still be an effective character within the shared dream. I actually don't have much trouble with his character.

I'm less fond of Scotty bonking his head on a bulkhead and waking up in sickbay. Less fond of the weird, seems to be out of nowhere romance between him and Uhura. Not fond of how the fake God is so easily vanquished.

But I see your point about the baby and the bathwater. I'll rewatch the film in the next few weeks, and see how I feel then.

It just allows sooooo many things to be explained away, and since STV is referenced so infrequently, it's not that bad.
It's been referenced more than you'd think. In the Name of Honor is a direct sequel to ST V. Nimbus III was a major story thread in Vanguard. Klaa plays a major role in Mere Anarchy: The Blood-Dimmed Tide. Korrd is in the novel Sarek and in "The Unhappy Ones" in Seven Deadly Sins. I've referenced Sybok briefly in Ex Machina and Forgotten History and discussed the death of McCoy's father in the former work. The "God" entity was in the Q Continuum trilogy. Gravity boots (like Spock used to levitate at Yosemite) were featured in a couple of SCE installments.
Coincidentally, those are almost all books I've never read. (Exceptions: "The Unhappy Ones," and your books, Christopher.) My TrekLit tends to be 24th-century centered. But with the exception of In The Name of Honor and the Q books (less so), none of those books sound like they refer significantly to the Enterprise's absurd trip to the center of the galaxy, but instead focus on other, non-absurd things that are established by the film.

In any case, though, I was actually referring to the film not getting referenced much in subsequent TV and film productions.

One thing that has always surprised me is how much time passed between STV and STVI. One of the biggest gaps between movies we have.
That's because II - V spanned 7 years of real time but were only set a few months apart. VI "reset" the time interval to reflect the actors' real ages, just as the previous Nicholas Meyer film, TWOK, had done.
Yeah, that makes sense. It's too bad that the real-world limitations of Trek productions prevent TPTB from focusing on the fact that people will probably age slower in the future, with extended lifetimes and better health care and stuff. "He's FOURTY-FIVE years old!? He doesn't look a day over thirty!!" That would be cool.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote