View Single Post
Old July 30 2012, 12:40 PM   #122
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

View JayOwl's Twitter Profile
Re: General Music Thread

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
JayOwl wrote: View Post
Nice. They sound a bit like The Hoosiers- to some extent.
Hummm....not if that link is any indication. The Hoosiers are way too 'poppy' to be close to The Shins
Maybe, I was thinking the voice sounded somewhat familiar. That was their most sucessful track that I sent you, but they are somewhat 'poppy' I guess. It's the kind of pop that I like.
Yeh, listening to the others I see what you mean, they're definitely more guitar/indie based.
You mean that Korn track? You liked that? Wow!
Yeh, it wasn't unpleasant, and I'm always willing to give most music a chance. I liked it.
I don't know if you listened to that Avenged Sevenfold track or not...but outside of the very beginning, there is not any screamo on it. True, it's metal...but not screamo metal. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of screamo either. I mean, it's fine here and there in a band's repertoire...but I don't care for a band whose songs are all screamo...or even a band who has screamo in every song. I don't mind it...but it has to be fairly limited.
I think I listened to the first minute or so but nothing caught my attention. "Dear God" is better though. I really liked "So Far Away" actually.
Beginning to understand why I think this band is so talented? I don't know of any other metal bands (or any bands, PERIOD) that are capable of writing across all those genres, let alone playing across all of them with such technique!
Yeh, I see what you're saying. I love it when artists can cross genres a bit. I liked most of what I heard.
Yeah...I think what is played here and what is played there must be very different, once you get outside the pure pop realm. The latest Death Cab album was very much promoted over here...but you say you would not have heard of them if it hadn't been for this cousin in SA? Wow! That's incredible...because it would have been impossible to miss them if you lived in the US.

But then, I'd not heard of The Hoosiers before today...and I see from Wikipedia that they are a UK band. So that explains it, I guess...the other part being that I don't listen to pop stations at all. I do listen sometimes to indie rock stations...but I've never heard them on there....
I noticed on wiki that Death Cab had some number 1 albums in the US, so I'm not surprised. I don't even listen to radio much, so even if they were playing I could've easily missed them. I know someone else here who'd already heard of them, or at least "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" so they've got a bit of influence over here.
As far as sales go: http://www.chartstats.com/artistinfo.php?id=10730
Oh...and yeah...your dad and I are pretty close in age...he only has me by a couple of years. Which is about what I expected based on what you have written about his vinyl collection. Mine looks very similar!
Ok, I thought so. It goes without saying that I'm a lot younger then. I'm 17, so no personal vinyls here. Yet.
JayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote