View Single Post
Old July 30 2012, 01:28 AM   #670
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: TP: Zero Sum Game by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sci wrote: View Post
Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
You admit that the Tzenkethi will doubtless screw up.
Sure. But who knows what they'll screw up at?

Frankly, such a screw-up would expose how deep they are in the pool, provided the Tzentkethi don't get out of said pool beforehand. By that I mean: a screw-up leads to exposure of their current operation, which leads to suspicion, which leads to investigation....
It's possible, of course. But the fact remains that there is at this point no evidence that anyone else has any knowledge of the Tzenkethi role in Tal'Aura's death -- nor any guarantee that their role would be suspected or detected in any later investigation. Don't project your omniscience as an audience member upon the characters.
As a rule--and I'm speaking as a reader/audience-member---if the ratio of audience knowledge to relevant-character knowledge results in a major imbalance on our part...the greater or more significant the imbalance, the greater the rist that said character comes across as an idiot. The "Don't go in there!" effect: the further we see the character go into what we see as a clear danger to them, without said character giving any indication of awareness of said danger...that character looks more and more like an idiot.

Sorry, but that's a fact of life. The greater the imbalance, the greater the sense that someone should know such-and-such.

Again, Sci--Tal'Aura would have been far less able to dominate the Pact than a Kammemor would, because she is so overt.
Yes, I understand your argument. And I am saying that even if Kamemor is in a better position to dominate, she never would, and this is why the Tzenkethi wanted her as Romulan Praetor.
I find it amazing that the Tzenkethi seemed to think they could afford to gamble on Kammemor's character, like that. For all they know, her being so "nice" is an act. Could they afford to take that chance?

Also--if the borders between the IRS and the RSE are established, why go to the trouble? Stability would be achieved in that way
Nonsense. Neither side was going to be able to live in peace with the other in the long run; they would inevitably go to war with one-another and drag their respective allies into the conflict. Far better for interstellar stability if there is a single Romulan state run by an anti-imperialist.
...who was known for advocating peace with the UFP. In other words--if tensions between the Pact and the Alliance reach a high enough point, the risk is considerable that Kammemor would push for the RSE changing sides...thus weakening the influence of the Pact.

So, them, Kammemor's presence as Praetor results in impositions upon those who would want to expand Pact influence--lest "conflict" arise with the Alliance. Either keep the influence it has...or decline. No expansion--we must maintain the peace.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote