View Single Post
Old July 30 2012, 01:52 AM   #62
Re: Your favourite Batman...

I applaud Nolan for making the effort to make Batman seem credible as opposed to trying to portray a storybook fantasy with little resemblance to the real world. Watching Burton's Batman is like something out of a distorted dream. I'm never really moved because it's so obviously faked.

When I was seven years old I liked the Adam West series, but then I didn't recognize the camp and parody. I didn't understand it and only saw colour and adventure and cool gadgets. But within a few years I discovered the 1970's comics and a more interesting Batman. Along with that I had gained enough added perception to see how silly the '60's series was. I was then offended because I resented the mockery of what I saw as a great character.

Now I can occasionally smirk when I see the Adam West version, but at heart I still resent the extensive parody. While I don't agree with everything in the Nolan film's I appreciate him evoking something of what I saw in those 1970's comics.

I also appreciate that Nolan was going for something more in his Batman films. Just as science fiction can be a setting for raising questions and issues (even if you don't get definate answers) Nolan used Batman as a setting to pose questions and issues. And different people are going to get different things out of them.

More succinctly, The Avengers was a comic book movie (and an entertaining one at that). Nolan's trilogy are films that happen to have Batman in them. That kind of clever storytelling really clicks for me.
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote