Shanndee
Commodore

Re: Rape Jokes

Kestra wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
HotRod wrote: View Post
"You can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny."
I say, "fuck you, I think it's hilarious. How do you like that?"
I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.
See, hey why do you think they call him "Porky,"

-George Carlin
I thought of the same quote! I agree with him, too. Anything can be made to be funny.
I think anything can be funny and that sometimes the funniest jokes are that humorous because they're just a little bit offensive. There's a certain shock value in that.

Should comedians be joking about rape? I dunno, I mean it's such a traumatic thing to go through. I personally wouldn't do it, but I'd obviously also never be a comedian. I guess if they're aware that their jokes are going to be incredibly offensive to a large part of the population and they're okay with that, then that's up to them. I think the difference here is that normally when someone is offended by a joke, people just say that they're too uptight or whatever. Clearly that's not what happens with rape jokes.
Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I don't really understand the humor in rape jokes because I know someone who has gone through it and it really traumatized her for life.
This is the crux of the issue for me. When you consider that a large part of an audience is female, and that 1 in 4 women have experienced some form of sexual assault, you run the risk of traumatizing a significant number of your audience.

I agree that context is important (I always laughed at the Carlin piece), but there is a fine line. Tosh was well and truly over this line. What he did was a hair below inciting violence, and that is inexcusable to me.

But we have to voice our feelings with our actions and our wallets. If we walk out on an offensive performer and demand a refund it will be noticed. If our boyfriends/husbands join us it will make more of an impact. If performers start losing money things will change.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote