View Single Post
Old July 29 2012, 02:12 AM   #662
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: TP: Zero Sum Game by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sci wrote: View Post
Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
You're forgetting one very important fact of life: resentment of overt domination. Subtelty is the key to power--influencing without their knowing it, via "friendship".

Tal'Aura, by being so nationalistic--by overtly trying to increase the RSE's standing in the Pact--would have, in so doing, antagonized the other members. Give it enough time, and the members not taking kindly to such domination--read: most of them...would want to thus eject the RSE from the Pact, to prevent that domination from happening.
That's a deeply unrealistic scenario. Many NATO members resent U.S. dominance within the alliance, but that doesn't mean they ever intend to eject the United States from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. They know full well that they need us.

So it would be -- and is already, really -- with the Romulan Star Empire and the Typhon Pact. The RSE needs the Pact, sure -- but the Pact needs the RSE even more. The Pact ceases to be a credible counterweight to the Federation and its allies without the Romulans.

Kammemor, on the other hand, being non-antagonistic, becomes a leader, not a dominator--killing with kindness, if you will. After all, though her policies of equality and non-antagonism...the Pact powers do not see her as a threat--and therefore, "open up" to her, more.
I don't think the Tzenkethi have a problem with letting the RSE take leadership in the Pact. That sort of "soft power" on Ki Baratan's part is acceptable to them. Hell, why shouldn't it be? It means that Romulus bears the biggest bulls-eye instead of Ab-Tzenketh.
I would imagine no bulls-eye at all being the ideal. One unified mass, with equally distributed spheres of leadership, rather than a single head of the serpent to be cut off.

But even besides that--again, "soft power," or being the benevolent leader, is a more effective means to the end of dominance than that of aggressive posturing.

Their goal isn't to prevent Romulus from being the most powerful Typhon Pact world. Their goal was to prevent out-and-out domination.
Which would be far less likely to happen were Romulan space to remain divided. The RSE re-absorbing the IRS made the RSE bigger--and thus, the potential for domination increases, much as the USA is the largest power in NATO--and, coincidently...the most dominant. I doubt, were the USA to have been recently split in two, it would nearly have had the influence it does.

But with the RSE re-unified, it now relieves itself

With unity in the Empire, again--it is in a better position to dominate. And with Kammemor being a "nice" person, it would be harder for the other members to see it coming.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote