View Single Post
Old July 28 2012, 11:59 PM   #113
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl
Re: General Music Thread

JayOwl, yeah...I like Death Cab okay - I especially like that first song, "I Will Follow You Into The Dark". Although I think my favorite more recent indie band is probably The Shins. This is not from their most recent album, but is still one of my favorite of their songs:

It *has* to be impossible to dislike that song. And I say that as a gal whose favorite 'new' band of the last decade, by a long, long margin, is these guys:

I LOVE, Avenged Sevenfold. Synyster Gates, IMO, has the very real potential of being the greatest guitarist of his generation. I mean, we are talking the potential for Eddie Van Halen territory here, if he doesn't get sidetracked by things like too much partying, etc. This band, though, does not have a weak link - every single one of them are incredibly talented at what they do.

Like I said...I'm really more of a Grunge/Hard Rock/Sometimes-Metal kind of gal. Can't be *too* screamo...like, I prefer Corey Taylor in Stone Sour rather than in Slipknot. But a lot of today's hard rock is right up my alley - Stone Sour, Alter Bridge, Shinedown, Apocalyptica...Slash's new stuff with Myles Kennedy...some Breaking Benjamin...that sort of thing. I got stuck in Grunge for a really long time because the late 90's into the early part of the 2000's was, IMO, another one of those musical wastelands, for the most part. But about 20 months ago (early winter of 2010) I got some suggestions on here for some newer bands I had not previously tried...and that sort of got me moving again....and now I listen to a lot of newer stuff on the hard rock/metal end of the spectrum. Avenged Sevenfold was not one of the suggestions...but the suggestions given got me moving in that direction, and now they are among my top 5 bands of all time.

I'll be honest and say that I will always take Korn over Lady Gaga...I like it hard, and I like it loud:

^^This shit right here is MADE. OF. AWESOME!!!

But there is some more recent indie stuff that I'm good with. I do have a very strong attraction to 'quirk'....and most of the indie artists I have enjoyed over the years have been/are quirky. The Shins fall into that category....Death Cab falls into that category until their songs get overplayed and I get annoyed. Beck, in my view, is King Of Quirk - really like Beck. Modest Mouse....CAKE....anything quirky, I usually like.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote