View Single Post
Old July 28 2012, 08:38 PM   #102
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl
Re: General Music Thread

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
I loved several of Dire Straits's chart hits (and videos!) when I was a child, and I got their Very Best Of... CD some time ago. Later I got "Brothers In Arms" and I can see why it was the one CD that everyone had to own back in the day - even today it's still a fantastic listen.

Then I saw the film "Local Hero" for which Mark Knopfler composed the soundtrack. To date it's still one of my favourite movie soundtracks. The Live version of the "Wild Theme" is one of the best things I have ever heard.
You know, I do not own that "Very Best Of" album. At that point, I owned all of their studio albums and had purchased "Money For Nothing" a decade earlier (I always got a kick out of them using "Money for Nothing" as the title of that...like they had a sense of humor about the fact that there were no new songs on the record - it was just a 'best of' compilation. ) so I didn't buy "The Very Best Of". Would you recommend it to JayOwl? I don't even know what tracks are on it!

Here is a link to their discography on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_Straits_discography

There you can see that, like most British bands, they got big in the UK before the US....I would say that over here, their 'breakout' album was Making Movies and of course, their mega-hit album was Brothers In Arms.

JayOwl...if you end up liking Brothers In Arms..I would suggest Making Movies and Love Over Gold as next steps. You mentioned that you really liked "Telegraph Road" - well, that song is on Love Over Gold and is AWESOME. It was not a single...but it is the song that really got my personal attention, back in the day. Here is the studio version...all 14 minutes of it! :

Beautiful song!

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote