View Single Post
Old July 27 2012, 07:28 PM   #604
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The only issue with that is in the closing moments you see three things in this order:
-Batman in the cockpit
-timer on the bomb to :05 seconds
-Blake on the bridge viewing the bomb going off

How much minimum safe distance can you get on 6 mile blast radius in 5 seconds?
He's not Superman, no ejection system is going to get that accomplished. It's suddenly asking for lots of suspension of disbelief in a saga that more or less has enjoyed being steeped in a mostly real world of application toys for Batman. Furthermore with Blake and others watching how would you not see an "escape moment"?
As others have pointed out, the scene is deliberately edited such that we are MISLED to think there was insufficient time to escape, so that it will come as a surprise that he did. How much time passed between the last shot of him in the cockpit and the last shot of the timer? Impossible to say. Sufficient time. As for seeing him escape, all they saw was a mushroom cloud way off on the horizon. Too far away for them to observe his escape.
I see people online defending this by inventing the idea we the viewer were mislead. There is nothing in those few seconds to indicate they aren't essentially sequential. We the viewer know where the cockpit is, by saying that it could now be an escape cockpit is something one has to make up in order for the final reveal moments to work. Nothing in this film suggests The Bat had an escape module. Not only that but it's small vehicle, the bulk of it is just the rotors. Great time was taken to let us know the Tumbler had an escape mechanism, defenders are just saying how do we know this one didn't? I say how do we know that based on what we saw, we don't. Having to craft too much out of thin air in order to make the story work is just sloppy writing and Nolan utilized too much of that for this installment imo.
Filling in the blanks for Blake, fine that works. Overall too much of that is going on in this film.
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote