View Single Post
Old July 26 2012, 05:47 PM   #4739
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
So, didn't Clark manage to save Lois without revealing himself to be Superman and without even using the Superman persona? (I seem to recall him using super breath or something to manipulate an awning... or something.)

Wouldn't this pretty much traumatize Lois? I mean it should hit her like a giant 1000-Ton ACME anvil that she just nearly died on a hunch (even a hunch she was 100% correct on both in reality and in her mind) and only "saved" by dumb luck.
Don't forget what happened afterward. Sure, in the Lester version, Lois was completely fooled when Clark didn't turn into Superman to save her at Niagara falls. But in the Donner version, the one we're talking about, the one where she jumped out the window, she wasn't fooled for long. She may have failed to prove Clark was Superman, but she still suspected that he was, and in the great scene that unfortunately was only ever filmed in the actors' auditions (footage of which was incorporated into the Donner Cut), she forced Clark to reveal himself by shooting him (with blanks, which he really should've noticed).
In the end whether Clark thrusts his hand in the fire or allows himself to shot even by blanks he still subconsciously let Lois in on his secret. And by shooting him Lois didn't have to risk her own life, which she did in both versions. If the point of Lois learning his secret is meant to led them to bed and Clark losing his powers then it all feels rather pointless, since the movie ends with a reset button and in the Donner version everything is reset and the Kyrtonian criminals are put back to the Phantom Zone.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote