View Single Post
Old July 26 2012, 04:15 PM   #44
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Re: What likely happened to the Cardassian Union after the war

R. Star wrote: View Post
Knight Templar wrote: View Post
I think of the Cardassians during the war as being not unlike Italy to the Axis during World War Two.

While the Italians made a pretense of being tough guys, when the war really got going the Germans had to bail them out.

by the way, it reminds me of Winston Churchills comment about Italy when he learned they were fighting on the German side in WWII.

"It's only fair. We had them last time." (World War One).
Well that's about the most shallow and insulting way to make a point by making a blanket statement against an entire group of people.

To say nothing of the fact it demonstrates your lack of any in depth knowledge of world war II. Italy had a lot of problems, but combrat prowress wasn't one of them. If you had ever read any reports of the campaigns in North Africa you'd know that.

They were lacking in industry and heavy equipment to be certain. Their main problem was they had to project naval and air power over a British dominated Mediterranian, and with so much of their industry keeping them in the game there, thinks like heavy artillery and tanks are secondary.

Before you mention Greece, let me just point out that the campaign in Greece was a testimony both to Mussolini's lack of strategic insight and preparation and the ferocity of the Greek defenders than the Italian people or nation you so openly insulted.

There are parallels to be certain, but maybe you should watch a bit more Trek outside the Dominion war arc and learn about it's themes of tolerance and understanding.
I have no doubt the italians were as brave and resourceful as the english and germans in WW2 - Greece's surprisingly successful resistance against a superior force notwithstanding.

But they still underperfomed martially in that war: they were, clearly, the weakest of the 'great powers' in WW2; their military did lack combat prowess.
There are, of course, objective reasons for it - the italians didn't have the military technology or industry the english or germans had.

On the other hand, nobody gave the english or the germans this technology or this industrial base as a gift. They built it themselves.
The italians didn't - and, during WW2, it showed.

'Tolerance' and 'understanding' is not ignoring historical facts in favor of feel good propaganda just because you don't like said historical facts - or because you don't find them politically correct enough -, R. Star.