View Single Post
Old July 26 2012, 02:46 AM   #4730
Christopher
Writer

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
So, didn't Clark manage to save Lois without revealing himself to be Superman and without even using the Superman persona? (I seem to recall him using super breath or something to manipulate an awning... or something.)

Wouldn't this pretty much traumatize Lois? I mean it should hit her like a giant 1000-Ton ACME anvil that she just nearly died on a hunch (even a hunch she was 100% correct on both in reality and in her mind) and only "saved" by dumb luck.
Don't forget what happened afterward. Sure, in the Lester version, Lois was completely fooled when Clark didn't turn into Superman to save her at Niagara falls. But in the Donner version, the one we're talking about, the one where she jumped out the window, she wasn't fooled for long. She may have failed to prove Clark was Superman, but she still suspected that he was, and in the great scene that unfortunately was only ever filmed in the actors' auditions (footage of which was incorporated into the Donner Cut), she forced Clark to reveal himself by shooting him (with blanks, which he really should've noticed).

So she wouldn't have been traumatized, because she never really believed she'd been wrong. All the window incident proved to her was that she needed a better plan to smoke Superman out. Which is why Donner Cut Lois is immensely more awesome than the gullible, unperceptive Lois of the Lester version.

I agree SMIII has certain Silver Age charms to it but at times tries way too hard (again, slapstick opening credits crawl) and pretty much any scene involving Richard Pryor (an amazingly, fabulously funny guy but he just wasn't in this movie and used way too much.)
Well, the opening slapstick sequence is trying too hard, yes, but it's superbly executed. Lester was a master of intricate detail, keeping a whole bunch of balls in the air and keeping track of every one of them. You see that all through the movie, with all the subtle background details and the plot points that are set up in one scene and paid off many scenes later. In terms of sheer structural cohesiveness, it has all the other Reeve films beat.

And on the DVD I rented, most of the deleted scenes were Pryor footage. So he was actually used a lot less in the final cut than he could've been.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote