View Single Post
Old July 25 2012, 07:40 PM   #743
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

People keep saying "there's more than enough in the appendices" but has anyone actually read them? I admit it's been quite a while since I did, so I might be misremembering, but from what I recall al lot of that stuff is just about the various lines of kings, a chapter or so's worth on Aragorn & Arwen, a terse timeline of the three ages and a sketch of what happened to Numenor (sp?) I don't recall a lot of details on the Council of White or what Gandalf got up to at Dol Guldur. Indeed, unless I'm misremembering it just says that he went to Dol Guldur once and Sauron did a runner then looked again about 400 years later and caught him out.

I'm not saying Walsh, Boyens & Jackson aren't capable of fleshing out a fuller story from scant information, I'm just wondering if all this talk about the appendices is just a way to get around not having the rights to 'The Silmarillion'. And by that I mean that from a rights stand-point, they can mine The Silmarillion for plot details so long as those same events are at least *mentioned* in the LotR manuscript.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote