View Single Post
Old July 25 2012, 12:08 AM   #37
Warped Trekker
Ensign

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

milo bloom wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

Either your TV or disc player is stretching the content to fit the screen on DVD. You can stretch the blu-ray, usually through a setting on your TV, but you'll have to do it manually. But if you do this then the menus won't fit the screen properly.
So it's best to leave it be then? I'm just wondering because with everyone having big screen TVs these days, I'm just wondering how distracting it is, or if it's not a big deal.

One of the most important things you can do to help yourself look past the black bars is to make sure the brightness and contrast settings are adjusted on your TV. Right out of the box, all TV's have their brightness cranked to the max; this is in case a store were to pull one out to be a floor model, it would need to look good under the harsh fluorescent lighting. But at home, it's just overkill. There are several DVDs out there that have a THX home calibration feature (I know Fight Club and the original Star Wars DVDs have them). Even if you don't have access to those, at least turn your brightness way, way down, even further than looks good. Watch like that for several days, then start creeping it up until it looks better.

What you're trying to achieve is for the black bars to actually look "black", and not glowing grey. If the frame of your TV is also black, this will go a long way towards helping you learn to ignore the black bars.
No, no, no. Brightness = black level adjustment. Contrast = luminance(white level). Get a good calibration disc like Spears & Munsil, which has accurate patterns. Also before calibration, put your TV in 6500k color mode or as close as possible. The default blue-white color of 9300k out of the box is wrong on all tv's.
Warped Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote