View Single Post
Old July 23 2012, 06:53 PM   #376
flavaflav
Commander

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Fair

The positives... good ending and Catwoman was much better than I thought she'd be. Talia is hot. The Robin arc I dug. Talia is hot. other than that, there's not much to like.

The negatives... Much like the Dark Knight, the pacing is horrible. I definitely felt like I was in the theatre for 3 hours watching a whole bunch of nothing happen on screen. Nolan has no idea how to make a story flow.

Bane was nothing but a pansy ass, stupid, mustache twirling villian without his painkillers. His voice was also meh. I understood most of what he said, but there were still quite a few times I had no idea what he was talking about. I liked how they tried to work in the Knightfall sorta-back breaking, but Bruce getting back to 100% in 2 1/2 weeks is ridiculous.

Once again, no detective work at all. This trilogy is a Batman series in name only. This is not Batman. It's ninjaman with gadgets to get him out of every predicament. Like the Bat.....

Speaking of which, while getting the Batman Beyond batmobile 70 years ahead of its time was a cool nod, if I hear another person call this series "realistic", my head will implode. Dark and brooding emo does not equate to being "realistic".

The emo was the biggest problem of all. it's nothing but Bruce being down on himself and whining for 3/4 of the movie. even Alfred goes emo.... sweet jesus. and then you don't see him for half the movie. Interplay between Batman and Alfred is integral to good Batman... but alas, as I said earlier, this is not Batman.

The Dark Knight Rises simply is not a fun movie to watch. It's not because it's trying to be a deep movie or artsy, because it's not either of those things. It simply isn't fun. I loved Batman Begins, though TDK was great for the first half, then fell apart in the second half... this movie then continued down that path. The no fun path. I had a glimmer of fun the last minute or two, but that was it.

In closing, I can't wait for a reboot. I think a 4th flick could be cool. Maybe even, dare I say, fun, because of the Batman Beyond-sorta set up... and Beyond is my fav take on Bats. But, I don't trust Nolan and I want a real Batman flick. Actual detective work and using his wits instead of his fists and tech. I'm happy this take on Batman is at an end. next.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote