View Single Post
Old July 23 2012, 05:23 PM   #4639
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I'd want Superman/Clark Kent to be a very wise, enlightened being, conscious, confident, a role model for everyone, because of his origin, and because Ma and Pa Kent are wonderful parents. He isn't prejudiced or jealous, and when he fights criminals he never kills (but then again, that's also Batman's thing), and he doesn't take justice into his own hands. But it seems that the film again goes for the "I don't know who I am, I don't know what I want" angle.

Superman Returns had him being depressive and jealous, I never liked that.
I think there's a way to show Clark searching for meaning and purpose in his life without him becoming "depressive." It's only natural that a guy in his position would be uncertain what to do with the powers he has, or be shaken by the knowledge that he isn't human, or be concerned with frightening the world with his abilities.

It makes him seem a whole lot more REAL than if he puts on the costume and just automatically becomes this "wise, enlightened role model and shining light to all mankind". He'll obviously become that, but I think we need to see the natural progression to it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote