View Single Post
Old July 22 2012, 06:11 PM   #302
Christopher
Writer

Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
NuScotty said he had successfully beamed something to one of our outer planets didn't he, several billion miles at least and that was before he had the transwarp equation?
No, he didn't.

SCOTT: ...I had a little debate with my instructor on the issue of relativistic physics and how it pertains to subspace travel. He seemed to think that the range of transporting something like a, like a grapefruit, was limited to about a hundred miles. I told him that I could not only beam a grapefruit from one planet to the adjacent planet in the same system, which is easy by the way, I could do it with a lifeform. So, I tested it on Admiral Archer's prized beagle.
KIRK: Wait, I know that dog. What happened to it?
SCOTT: I'll tell you when it reappears. I don't know. I do feel guilty about that.
http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie11.htm

I do agree that a maximum safe distance of about 500,000km would have been a sensible limit otherwise your starships have to be in quite a low orbit or sitting right next to a ship to effect any kind transport.
Half a million klicks is a bit excessive. "Standard orbit" is generally assumed to be only a few hundred km in altitude, and geosynchronous orbit of Earth is only 35,000 km.

I think you are right about the term 'transwarp'. I was getting confused because they were also beaming onto a ship at warp.
It's right there in the dialogue:
SPOCK PRIME: What if I told you that your transwarp theory was correct? That it is indeed possible to beam onto a ship that is travelling at warp speed?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote