View Single Post
Old July 22 2012, 01:02 AM   #188
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

roliver wrote: View Post
I think you can debate the issues with TDKR, but I've yet to see anyone come up with a defense for Prometheus' faults.
Well obviously people have debated the merits of Prometheus and defended its faults (it was right there in the thread), so what you mean is a convincing defence of them.

For example, Bane's plot at the start of the movie - it seems so monumentally stupid to so obviously risk his life like that. It's grand, theatrical, cool as hell, and don't start thinking about it for even a minute like maybe what would have happened if he'd been killed before it got off or if he was just demasked earlier than expected or whatever.

It seems to be in there largely to invoke the raid that introduced the Joker in the Dark Knight, only the Joker isn't meant to be a villain with some diabolical multi-stage plan of destruction, just a psychopath making it up as he goes along who's not particularly betting on his own survival to be all that important.

I'm sure someone can probably jump in with some elaborate argument defending this plot as making sense. But I'm less sure they could actually convince me of this being the case.