View Single Post
Old July 21 2012, 05:48 PM   #1182
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
Unless you're suggesting it's supernatural then you were saying it was unusual

weird (wÓrd)adj. weird∑er, weird∑est 1. Of, relating to, or suggestive of the preternatural or supernatural.
2. Of a strikingly odd or unusual character; strange.
Exactly. The second definition. Unusual means:

un∑usu∑al
adj
\-ˈyŁ-zhə-wəl, -zhəl; -ˈyŁzh-wəl\
: not usual : uncommon, rare
In other words, it happens all the time, but it's still weird.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, yes, but that doesn't mean the people they hire to do the creating aren't genuinely inspired.
I never said otherwise.

What a ludicrously absolutist and ignorant thing to say. I've been trying to explain to you for days that it's possible to respect the essence of an earlier creation and change it at the same time. After all, every creation, every worthwhile character or premise, has more than one single attribute. It's possible to carry forward the essential qualities that make a character or a concept while modifying other aspects and thus casting those essentials in a new light. Creators have been doing that for thousands of years too. Was Van Gogh not really painting a starry night? Was Dali not really painting pocketwatches? Did Picasso not really paint Dora Maar? Creativity is about taking an existing source and interpreting it in a new way. The interpretation does not erase the substance of the original -- not if you make the effort to look past the superficial and see the underlying essence.
And yet these are still all new characters.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Seriously, does anyone really think that all artistic decisions made on any TV show are driven entirely by commercial concerns?
The reason they are recycling names from The Munsters is because of commercial concerns. Bryan Fuller is perfectly capable of making up new names for his characters.