View Single Post
Old July 21 2012, 01:42 PM   #1179
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Why assume some crass commerical motive?
Because it's a business. The money is controlled by people with crass commercial motives.
Well, yes, but that doesn't mean the people they hire to do the creating aren't genuinely inspired. Hell, Greg and I get paid to write Star Trek novels, which is all a commercial enterprise where the studio is concerned, but I can assure you that we both love Star Trek deeply as fans and are motivated by the love of the work and the concepts. Yes, we do it for money, but you do your job for money too, so you're being a hypocrite if you condemn others for doing the same. Everyone needs to earn money to pay their rent and put food on the table, but that doesn't mean you can't truly love your job and be inspired by other factors as well.

How do we know that Bryan Fuller isn't simply a fan having fun with characters he adores?
Because they're not the characters he adores. They're new characters with the names of characters he adores.
What a ludicrously absolutist and ignorant thing to say. I've been trying to explain to you for days that it's possible to respect the essence of an earlier creation and change it at the same time. After all, every creation, every worthwhile character or premise, has more than one single attribute. It's possible to carry forward the essential qualities that make a character or a concept while modifying other aspects and thus casting those essentials in a new light. Creators have been doing that for thousands of years too. Was Van Gogh not really painting a starry night? Was Dali not really painting pocketwatches? Did Picasso not really paint Dora Maar? Creativity is about taking an existing source and interpreting it in a new way. The interpretation does not erase the substance of the original -- not if you make the effort to look past the superficial and see the underlying essence.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote