View Single Post
Old July 20 2012, 11:08 PM   #164
publiusr
Commodore

Re: SpaceX is a go for April 30th: 1st commercial launch to space stat

sojourner wrote: View Post
You could do the same mission cheaper and sooner using 2 launches of a Delta IV.
That's not cheap. Now I'm trying to find out just what Falcon heavy can launch. 40 tons or 53? I get different figures...

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post

"Largely built?" they completed the last welds on the pressure vessel of a single prototype; still missing from the design is its avionics and control software, maneuvering systems, heatshield, sensors, radars/radios, and life support systems; they haven't even finalized a design for the service module.Hell, the Venture Star was closer to being flight ready when Congress finally cancelled it.
Ack--Venture Star. That is a bit of a stretch. Looks like things are on track with Orion though..warts and all:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/...testing-eft-1/

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
Sierre Nevada partially grew out of that ULA culture, so they're way beyond that point.
Looks like they are staying loyal to Atlas V--the better of the two EELVs

www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/07/nasa-ula-confirm-atlas-v-baseline-human-rated-launches/

I wonder if Branson should just go to Space Ship 3--a high passenger sub-orbital ride to be launched under the Stratolauncher to fill more seats. Then for the higher tier, the falcon rocket with the dragon capsule with fewer, richer clients to orbit.

publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote