View Single Post
Old July 20 2012, 07:22 AM   #44
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Just got back from the midnight showing.

All in all, I'd call it a fitting conclusion to the trilogy, and likely the best new movie I've seen so far this year (admittedly not a huge amount of competition). Nolan is skilled at cinematic sleight of hand, but I will say that I guessed pretty much the entire climax/denouement midway through, after thinking about how Alfred might reappear -- there's a whole series of foreshadowing pieces scattered throughout that all slide into place pretty easily. I don't think that really takes away, though, because it still has surprises, and a story that plays fair with the audience always runs that risk (plus one reveal that anybody who knows anything about the legacy of Ra's al Ghul will have guessed long before).

Perhaps the thing I most liked about this one is how it takes apart the morals of the ending of the second movie.

I've seen some people who have been very critical of Nolan's female characters, and while I'm not wholly in agreement with that sentiment, I will say that I think Hathaway's Selina Kyle is easily the most interesting lady in any of his movies.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote