View Single Post
Old July 19 2012, 08:22 PM   #33
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Supergirl Animated Movie

Christopher wrote: View Post
Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
^You have to remember, Christopher, that the marketing people for these animated projects ALSO look at the sales performance of the comics themselves as guides. Female-lead comics aren't selling, for whatever reason.
The reason, according to the comments I've read from female comics fans online, is that the big publishers tend to marginalize and objectify female characters in a way that alienates female readers. Remember the controversy over the demeaning portrayals of Catwoman, Starfire, and Voodoo in their first New 52 appearances? There are high points like Batwoman and Renee Montoya and the Birds of Prey, well-portrayed female characters that women readers really respond to, but there are still far too many female characters that are just softcore pandering to teenage males.

So it's not right to say that the industry is just responding to a lack of interest from the female audience. It's the other way around -- the audience is driven away by the decisions of the industry. There's plenty of female readership and creative participation in independent comics, but they don't find the top publishers' product as inviting because of the way it treats female characters.

And I should add that there are surely plenty of men, including myself, who would rather see well-rendered, respectfully treated female characters than just ones that pander to adolescent fantasies.

You still seem to be missing or minimizing the point. Its not just that women don't read those titles...men don't either. The key is that there have to be enough women to buy the title to offset the fact that men won't. You seem to reject the idea that men generally do not buy titles with female leads despite the fact that there is ample evidence to prove this. Hell Wonder Woman is one of the most famous comic characters out there and the feedback about her new 52 title has been overwhelmingly positive....and she STILL sells WAY fewer issues than her male counterparts. The same is true of Batwoman, Supergirl and Batgirl...and none of them faced the controversey that dogged Catwoman.

To DC's credit they have stuck by those titles, but you cannot ignore the reality that men typically don't buy those titles and there are not enough women to pick up the slack.

If you're Time Warner/DC or Disney/Marvel you might take a risk on making a comic that will have a small readership, but there is no way you're going to sink millions into a project that won't have much of an audience.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote