View Single Post
Old July 19 2012, 05:43 PM   #26
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Re: TMP Epsilon 9 radio chatter

Christopher wrote: View Post
SchwEnt wrote: View Post
I guess it's fairly obscure. But I wonder what the story is of using FJ TM technical terminology and illus. and vessel nomenclature in TMP (and then later movies)?

I don't recall any behind-the-scenes stories or interviews about how the TM came to be used like this in the films.

Was someone in the production really a fan and wanted to showcase FJ work? Was is simply a matter of digging up some material to use license-free? Was someone trying to stick to canon or establish it?
It was filler, meant to be background noise in a scene that was about something else. Nobody who made the film in 1979 knew that there would be a time when home video was commonplace and obsessive Trekkies spent their lives overanalyzing every last detail. So they just grabbed whatever was at hand that sounded appropriate and tossed it into the background walla. It was the audio equivalent of lorem ipsum.
I agree. Random background filler. No big deal, so why not make up some Starfleet lorem ipsum? Instead someone used FJ work word-for-word. Why even take the trouble to look it up? Who had the TM copy handy?
Did they have it on set to consult for other things? Was it a reference for other aspects of the production? Who was using it for this but not that?

When someone just grabbed whatever was handy, who was that "someone"? A fan on the production? Was this approved or encouraged by others? Povill? GR? Wise? Folks at Abel?

Just really curious how the TM came into the production as it did.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote