View Single Post
Old July 19 2012, 03:52 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: TMP Epsilon 9 radio chatter

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
I guess it's fairly obscure. But I wonder what the story is of using FJ TM technical terminology and illus. and vessel nomenclature in TMP (and then later movies)?

I don't recall any behind-the-scenes stories or interviews about how the TM came to be used like this in the films.

Was someone in the production really a fan and wanted to showcase FJ work? Was is simply a matter of digging up some material to use license-free? Was someone trying to stick to canon or establish it?
It was filler, meant to be background noise in a scene that was about something else. Nobody who made the film in 1979 knew that there would be a time when home video was commonplace and obsessive Trekkies spent their lives overanalyzing every last detail. So they just grabbed whatever was at hand that sounded appropriate and tossed it into the background walla. It was the audio equivalent of lorem ipsum.

It's no different from a movie set in Ancient Rome raiding the studio vault for props and costumes from earlier Roman epics. Or Lost in Space and Batman '66 recycling leftover props from Fantastic Voyage. They're not trying to incorporate those earlier movies into their "canon" or express their fandom for them, they're just latching onto whatever suitable pre-existing material they can put into their movie or show so they don't have to spend more time and money creating new stuff.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote