View Single Post
Old July 19 2012, 02:30 AM   #99
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Our Sacred Honor--A Tale Of Captain Ezri Dax

hadd001 wrote: View Post
You have wonderfully captured what is actually happening in our own society right now. It was not what I expected to read. But it is what I needed to read. Thank you.
Wow...thank you, sir, very much.

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
^ Yes, it was quite a speech.

The line between compromise and appeasement is thinner than most of us think. Gleer made a valid point that even heroes, who are all but deified, shouldn't be considered to be above the law. But given what the reader knows about the provoking incident, his words don't seem relevant to this case. As for Ezri, as she pointed out, for her to (figuratively, of course) get the chair is positively idiotic considering those who have gotten just a slap on the wrist for far worse.
Thank you, my friend. Yes--with Gleer, I made a concious effort to put myself in his shoes--make his statement sound as rational as possible, while still giving elements of unlikability (his apparent dismissal of Kirk's sacrifices to rescue Spock, for example).

With Ezri, I took a hard look at the many faults I and others (such as my friend, Nerys Ghemor) have noted to have taken hold of the Federation by the TNG era. There is a hypocrisy and self-righteousness among many in what we've seen in its leadership which, I felt, stem from one basic central problem. And as hadd001 pointed out, it is very relevent to our society, today.

Anyway, considering how Ezri's insight--and sense of idealism--led her to basically deconstruct for Worf the problems of Klingon society...it would be only appropriate that she would come to do the same, for the Federation.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote