The Tim Burton Version
Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)
I saw the whole Rush Limbaugh thing. Even if he's taking the Bain/Bane stuff too seriously, it really is a pretty timely and funny coincidence.
Moving along, I was reading the trivia section for The Dark Knight Rises
at the IMDb and thought I'd post some of what was there...
- Christopher Nolan is the first director to complete a full trilogy of Batman films, but the second to direct a full trilogy of films on one superhero (after Sam Raimi completed his Spider-Man films).
- Christian Bale is the first live action actor to portray Batman/Bruce Wayne in three Batman films. Kevin Conroy has played the character in seven animated films as of 2011 (including Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker).
- Cinematographer Wally Pfister has expressed interest in shooting the entirety of the film in the IMAX format, as both Pfister and Christopher Nolan have expressed distaste for shooting the film in 3-D. Ultimately, the film would feature approximately 50 minutes of IMAX footage, while the rest was shot in a combination of 35mm and 70mm, as IMAX cameras proved to be too noisy for shooting the films dialogue scenes.
- Jessica Biel, Gemma Arterton, Kate Mara, Charlotte Riley, Keira Knightley and Anne Hathaway all auditioned for the role of Selina Kyle. After the initial audition process, Hathaway, Biel and Mara all screen tested. Ultimately, Anne Hathaway won the role.
- Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz and Marion Cotillard were considered to play Miranda Tate before Cotillard finally got the role. Cotillard started filming 2 months after she gave birth to her son, Marcel.
- According to Gary Oldman, Christopher Nolan told the actors the ending of the film verbally to avoid any leaks.
- One of the reasons why Christopher Nolan cast Tom Hardy as Bane was because of his performance in the film RocknRolla. Hardy stated that he thought he was cast because of his role in Bronson. He arrived on set only to learn that Nolan has never even seen Bronson.
- ChloŽ Grace Moretz and Jennifer Lawrence auditioned for Juno Temple's role.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt , Leonardo DiCaprio , James Holzier, Ryan Gosling, and Mark Ruffalo were considered to play John Blake. Gordon-Levitt was ultimately cast.
- Anne Hathaway, who plays Catwoman, had been cast as Black Cat (Felicia Hardy) in The Amazing Spider-Man in 2010, which at that time was under Sam Raimi's direction as "Spider-Man 4" and was going to feature the Vulture and Black Cat.
- According to Christopher Nolan, Bane was chosen as the film's main antagonist "to test Batman mentally as well as physically."
- To prepare for her role as Catwoman, Anne Hathaway worked out five days a week on a regime that involved vigorous exercise, stunt training and dancing. She called it her most physically demanding role to date.
- This is the fifth film in a row that Christopher Nolan has worked with Michael Caine. The other films were Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and Inception.
- With their appearances in this movie, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy and Gary Oldman will have each appeared in three Batman movies. Only Michael Gough and Pat Hingle have done the same thing.
- Christopher Nolan picked Bane as the main villain. Coincidentally, with no known relation, the name of one of the creators of Bane for the comic books is Graham Nolan.
- Anne Hathaway based her performance on Hedy Lamarr, who was the original inspiration for Catwoman.
- Tickets for the film's premiere midnight IMAX screenings in New York sold out six months in advance.
- Anne Hathaway has revealed that during her audition, she thought that she was auditioning for Harley Quinn. it was only after she had a discussion with Christopher Nolan that she found out that she was auditioning for Catwoman.
- Anne Hathaway has said that she desperately coveted the role of Catwoman, and was a complete nervous wreck after her audition. The first time her agent phoned after her screen test, he said he had good news and asked if Hathaway was sitting down. Hathaway immediately screamed "I'm Catwoman!" and ran around the room in a frenzy. Unfortunately, her agent had to calm the actress down--he had called to let her know that she'd been invited to host the Academy Awards. Hathaway has said she was so shocked she went numb at the offer. Fortunately, shortly thereafter, her agent phoned again to let her know that she had been offered the part of Catwoman as well.
- Christopher Nolan said that the film's theme deals with "Pain" For Batman Begins, it was on "Fear", while The Dark Knight deals on "Chaos".
- Tom Hardy accepted the role of Bane without reading the script. He was verbally told that he would have unprecedented access to extensive stunt training and equipment that he could enjoy knocking around.
I also read that Natalie Portman was considered for the role of Selena Kyle, but I don't know if that's true or not.