View Single Post
Old July 18 2012, 03:29 PM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci says ST series talk "getting real"

Dukhat wrote: View Post
^Plus, as I stated above, to my knowledge there is no evidence at all that Moonves dislikes sci-fi in general, or Trek in particular, other than the hearsay that is so frequently cited here at the TrekBBS.
So we'll agree that Moonves isn't a factor, I still don't think it makes economic sense for CBS...

BillJ wrote:
I don't think anyone will disagree that Star Trek will be insanely expensive to produce weekly.

In order for a show that is expensive to survive, it has to be put out in a manner the maximum number of people can see it. To drive revenue. Plus, cable TV providers continue to bleed subscribers here in the U.S.

Now are you going to take and put your (depending on number of episodes) $60-110 million dollar investment on a business model that looks to be slowly dying or are you going to place it where the most people possible can see it, driving advertising revenue?

But the problem, as I see it on the outside, is live-action Star Trek 'done right' is too expensive for Netflix or Showtime to turn a profit off of (I don't believe it would drive subscriptions as those who really want to see it will either download it or wait for home video) and wouldn't draw enough viewers to justify a spot on a network line-up, especially at CBS.

I really don't see live-action Star Trek coming back anytime soon, especially with CBS making a rather large profit off their back catalog and and taking no risks with Paramount footing the bill for the motion picture franchise.