View Single Post
Old July 18 2012, 12:09 AM   #1145
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Sindatur wrote: View Post
That's not the way reads, especially since Temis points out, it's those of us, like on the board who are the exception (IE: We're the ones driving up the numbers by seeing it multiple times) IMHO. The General Audience might see it again, with another group of folks, but, they're not likely to watch it 3 or 4 or 5 times, like many of us
And yet I was directly referring to the people who Temis said forget, obviously. In any case, it was just a joke. No need to overthink it.

stj wrote: View Post
Admiral Janeway's selfish history-changing plot in Endgame was exchanged for a heroic history-changing attack on the Borg. Genocide of the bad guys is the kind of history changing everyone can get behind. (The Admiral dies for her sins, what more do you want, gang-rape? Captain Janeway, like all of us, has the right to change her future.)
But she changed everybody else's future, too. How many people were alive in the original timeline that were never even born in the altered one? And genocide is kind of on the list of bad things, too. No, "Endgame" was a low point in Trek lore.

Yes, Fist Contact was a dumb space vampire (not mindless zombie, get the facts right!) movie. It was still the only re-watchable TNG movie.
Okay, they can be space vampires if you want. But I could barely manage one watching. The one I find rewatchable is Generations. Maybe occasionally Insurrection. I have little interest in seeing Nemesis again.

As to the new Star Trek movie and concerns with continuity, as I recall there some tedious persiflage in the new movie that rationalizes that. Doesn't help the movie a bit. In Star Trek, Spock was the cool character and Kirk/Spock was such a famous friendship it inspired slash. In the new Star Trek movie, Kirk is the cool character and Kirk viciously attacks Spock, which we are supposed to believe is the foundation for a new famous friendship. Plus, Star Trek improved the believability of the setting and premises, while the new movie invents new offenses against plausibility.

Driveling about how narrow continuity has never been part of the Trek phenomenon misses the direct opposition between the two Star Treks. No doubt the completely white, completely non-geeky guy being the cool one is more popular. And no doubt adolescents of all ages feel like friendship is like being accomplices in defying the 'rents and the teachers, so that getting all drippy about each other has nothing to do with it. But as much as you might like the takeaway from the new Star Trek, the only thing it's got to do with the old Star Trek is Leonard Nimoy.
All true.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Come on. It's not about whether you dislike a movie, it's about how you express that dislike and whether it's fair or hurtful.
Well, I suppose it might be hurtful to the writers, but they did an awful job and there's no need to soft soap it. In any case, they've become millionaires despite their awful writing, so I imagine that eases the pain.

I don't like The Wrath of Khan much. But I don't constantly hijack every Trek movie thread with mean-spirited, abusive rants about what a horrible movie it was and how only idiots and fools could possibly like it.
That's good. I don't either.

I strongly dislike the choices Nicholas Meyer made. But I don't impugn his competence, intelligence, or motives just because he happened to make creative choices that don't conform to my personal taste. Criticism does not require hatred, hostility, or abuse. Disagreeing with the choices made by a creator does not require vilifying the creator on a personal level or damning the intelligence or judgment of anyone who liked that creator's choices. Those are the tactics of a bully, not a reasonable critic.
Good thing I never did any of that, huh?

If you haven't figured it out yet, you never will. You're just not listening to anything except your own biases and preconceptions, so of course you're not able to understand it even though I've been explaining in detail for what feels like weeks now. So I'm done trying.
Okay.