View Single Post
Old July 17 2012, 07:07 PM   #3967
Harvey
Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

stj wrote: View Post
The only form of corruption is direct control over what the critics write?
I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth.

The bottom line is, a correctly operating review system would reliably provide consumer information as to the quality of movies, tentpole, midrange and indie.
You've failed to demonstrate a single instance of film critics failing to do this.

If you wanted a guide to deciding whether to see John Carter for instance you could read a review of the movie, instead of getting an essay eviscerating the budgeting and marketing at Disney.
Movies don't exist in a vacuum, and there's nothing corrupt or offensive about reviewers putting them into context. Your characterization of the reviews excessively opining on the advertising rather than evaluating the movie itself seems to be hyperbole, judging from the actual reviews of the movie.

If you wanted to decide whether to see the new Spiderman movie, you'd be able to read a review that warned you the new Peter Parker was a consistent liar, which is to say the least a novel interpretation.
Reviewers are corrupt because they don't share your reaction to the movie?

So, everything's peachy with the reviewing system?
I drew objection to your statement that the reviewing system was "amazingly corrupted." I didn't say that the reviewing system was perfect.

Quote-whores like Peter Travers and Pete Hammond will apparently say anything to get their names on billboards and on television -- when they like a movie. Film critics at local affiliates are often trotted out to offer praise poorly received movies, but rarely produce substantive reviews.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote