View Single Post
Old July 17 2012, 04:03 PM   #29
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Kegg wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The magnet scheme was interesting, although you'd think a smart guy like Walt would know better than to turn it up all the way. I get that something had to go wrong, in keeping with the themes of the show, but couldn't we have had it be something that didn't depend on Walt being stupid?
Walt's smart but he's overconfident as all hell, which I assumed was the point. Jesse's the voice of reason - get the hell out of there - and Walt's all let's do it some more. And then at the end he remains glibly confident that the entire thing worked perfectly and people should accept that as an article of faith because Walt says so.

The man's in love with his own voice (and with the voice of Bryan Cranston, who can blame him?) and that sense of authority. Walt's smart but far from flawless.
I guess I'm just a little surprised that a chemistry teacher would apparently not be too up on magnetism and electromagnets. He should've been able to do the math based on what it took to wipe the drive Jesse had. Figuring out the field strength from the original set of batteries vs. the distance to Jesse's laptop should've let Walt rough out the numbers to know what field strength he'd need to do the job at the distance given (accounting for the concrete wall, which I assume would interfere some but not a whole lot.)

I get that they were in a hurry, but Walt being "overconfident" doesn't mean he should be "stupid."

I just wish Jesse had said something about, "fucking magnets!"
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote