View Single Post
Old July 17 2012, 03:27 PM   #1127
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

^
That's an interesting ambiguous statement, implying that two of the companies involved in his show are, well, nerd-popular, one for films in particular. If I was gonna wildly guess I'd throw a dart at Marvel because they seem to be hugely popular with their superhero line and I can't read a pop culture website without an announcement of another Marvel film on the front page.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And even if HBO or Showtime decided to do a space opera, is Star Trek the first thing they'd think of? Or would they take a page from Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead, and adapt a well-regarded title from novels or graphic novels, that would have more snob appeal than a franchise associated with bland broadcast?
The latter. I can easily see Showtime or HBO or AMC or whatever hypothetically making a space opera series, and doing so in a way that keeps with their brand. I don't see any of them using the Star Trek license to pursue this. It'd be an original title or as you say an adaption of novels or the like.

On the other hand, something like TNT's Falling Skies - more family-friendly and surprisingly optimistic than AMC's zombie-filled apocalyptic drama - is definitely a future I could imagine for Star Trek.

I still wouldn't discount the networks though, honestly. If there's ever to be space opera on network TV again, Star Trek is exactly the kind of broadly successful franchise that'd do it (and of course J.J. Abrams, who did what I consider to be a bang-up job on the new movie, has apparently a good track record with network TV - I say 'apparently' as I've never actually watched his TV shows).

Sure, even if you feel that cable TV right now is considerably more interesting than what network TV is putting out, the fact remains at one point you really liked a network TV franchise called Star Trek... so I don't think it's a terrible prospect.