View Single Post
Old July 16 2012, 04:27 PM   #1112
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I don't know about the cartoon, but the rest are connected whether people like it or not.
And plenty of people would tell you that the Abrams films are also connected whether you like it or not. Other people over the years have rejected earlier incarnations of Trek as absolutely and unwaveringly as you reject the Abramsverse, and just as you dismiss their opinions as wrong, others will dismiss your opinion as wrong. It goes both ways.

You're also missing the point, because I'm not talking about anything as petty as personal likes and dislikes. I'm talking about the distinction between the textual pretense of continuity and the metatextual reality of the distinctions between different creators' interpretations of Star Trek. You're insisting on trying to evaluate things on only one level, that of internal continuity (plus the level of personal like and dislike which is really beside the point here), and I'm trying to point out that that's only one layer of analysis, and is often more a conceit than a reality.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; July 16 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote