View Single Post
Old July 14 2012, 08:32 PM   #18
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG
Re: Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn conclusion of the first TP a

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ Christopher is starting to get what I was truly trying to say. The Forgotten Realms D&D campaign setting contains a number of novels which have been connected in some fashion, either be it through appearances by a character or characters from one set of novels in a completely separate set of novels, or else by one set of characters traveling to a locale that is central to an entirely unrelated set of novels. This doesn't make the connected novels part of one cohesive story arc, but instead weaves them into the larger tapestry that is the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. Each of the novels releaed under the Forgotten Realms banner and set in that world remains a distinct, separate thing, but on those occasions when novels are connected, it creates a broader picture of the campaign setting and the world therein.

This is what I feel has been done with regards to the Typhon Pact novels with PoN and RtD; DRGIII has turned the TP branding into a 'campaign setting' akin to Forgotten Realms, connecting threads from several novels into a larger tapestry, while still allowing those novels to remain individual, distinct, separate tales focused on a particular, separate iteration of the broader ST brand-name/franchise.
I totally get the analogy (as a former D&D/AD&D player, as well as several other settings in TSR), and I think that the "setting" in this case is the Post-Destiny 24th Century TrekLit "universe". The TP is a brand / series name (more marketing-related than story-related, at least as conceived originally -- thanks,Christopher ).

The novels I mentioned in the OP are IMO part of the first arc post-Destiny - created "retroactively" by PoN and RtD - some novels are TP branded and some not, and tell the story of the Pact's rise and first clashes with the UFP.