View Single Post
Old July 13 2012, 07:35 PM   #36
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: General Music Thread

So, is this where the music thread is? Perfect timing!

I just went to the local music festival this year and boy was it epic. It's one of those festivals where it's one of the only local chances to experience good music for an entire weekend, where musicians will often mingle with fans and where musicians will often collaborate. A relaxed atmosphere kind of place.

I didn't attend on Saturday, but on Friday, the headliner was Daniel Lanois, musician and producer for artists such as U2 and Peter Gabriel, Neil Young, among others. You might remember a little song from the 90's called Jolie Louise, or perhaps The Maker, or The Messenger.

Sunday night, WABAM! Steven Page (formerly of the Barenaked Ladies) brought the house down with an incredible show. If anyone here has the chance to go see him live, go do so. He's an incredible live performer. I was never much a fan of the Barenaked Ladies, but I was very aware of their songs, but seeing this show gave me a whole new respect for the man. He came out here as a simple duo with Craig Northly (Whom Canadians will likely recognize for writing the song that ended up being used as the Corner Gas theme). No drum kit, sound was incredibly perfect, and amazing. He made us soon forget that what we were seeing wasn't a full band. The man has some awesome pipes, and could easily be an operatic tenor if he wanted to, and by god, he's actually quite funny on stage.

The great thing about this event is all the music that can be discovered over the coarse of the weekend. Found so much good music and even bought a few albums and even gained some appreciation for styles of music I didn't even know I had in me to like. Look up the Boxcar Boys on Youtube if you're interested. Same with Seesham, Lotus & Son. Great stuff. Fun weekend. Would do it all again in a heartbeat.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote