View Single Post
Old July 13 2012, 07:45 AM   #819
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
The other Nolan movie I haven't seen (well, apart from the first one).
Following is a micro-budget thriller, but it's a good one. Worth seeing if you stumble across it.

Out of curiosity, have you seen the original Norwegian version of Insomnia? Another poster suggested it displays themes that would later be on display in The Dark Knight, but I wonder what is from Nolan's imagination and what is simply taken from the original.

102. TRON (C)

TRON -- The premise is an interesting exercise in fantasy (what if computer programs were really intelligent beings that lived in their own society?), but the execution mostly takes the form of a juvenile action-adventure, hardly doing the idea justice. Visually, I admire the idea of mixing traditional 2D animation with 3D computer animation, but it doesn't always work, and the computer animation looks utterly primitive today.

The cast does a reasonable job -- David Warner is good as always as the villain, and Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner are good as the heroes of the piece -- but there are a few weaker links, including Cindy Morgan in the love interest role. The score, by Wendy Carlos, is at times superb, but more often than not demonstrates the limits of electronic scoring in 1982. It doesn't approach the craft of, say, Vangelis' score for Blade Runner.

This is the second time I've seen this film, and my reaction was about the same. I bet if I had seen it when I was younger, though, nostalgia would go along way. I think I would have loved it when I was eight or nine.

Theatres: 40
Home Video: 54 +1
Computer: 8

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote