View Single Post
Old July 11 2012, 05:06 AM   #950
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Haven't followed Remender work, but JRjr was born to draw Cap.
Seeing as how John Romita, Sr. drew Captain America just a few years before John Romita, Jr.'s birth, it's quite possible, he was literally born to draw Captain America. Like Deep Thought in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, maybe Senior realized his work on Cap was good, but not great, but he could design a successor who would be great at drawing Captain America.

As to the debate over Marvel NOW!, I have a different take on it. I've been more of a DC fan over the years than a Marvel one. However, lately, with Marvel Cosmic, I've enjoyed some of Marvel's output just as much, if not a slight bit more than DC's. I still love DC, but the enjoyment I got out of reading the Annihilation era Marvel Cosmic is in a class by itself.

It also led me to pick up Avengers: Assemble due to its reintroduction of the Guardians of the Galaxy, specifically Star-Lord and Drax, after the events of The Thanos Imperative.

My love for those stories led me to realize that Hickman was picking up some of those threads, specifically with Black Bolt and the Inhumans, as well as Annihilus and the Annihilation Wave, which lead me to get the first four his his Fantastic Four trades and the five-issue Dark Reign: Fantastic Four mini he did which served as a sort of lead-in to his run. I eagerly await the chance to pick up the FF trades that continue where vol. 4 of Fantastic Four left off.

I've been tempted to pick up Wolverine and the X-Men, since prior to getting into the Marvel Comics stuff about 3 years ago, I collected all of Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men, and I heard that Jason Aaron's run on the title was thematically close to Morrison's run. I'm still interested in getting a trade or two, but a little less so, since I'm not interested in Avengers vs. X-Men and its tie-ins.

Recently, I jumped on-board Daredevil and really enjoyed it. As I said earlier, the Omega-Drive storyline led to me getting Punisher, which surprised me, as I haven't read much with Frank Castle.

Based on all of this, I sat down to look at my comics budget and made room for Hickman's Avengers titles and looked at some DC titles to drop, in order to balance my budget a little.

I've heard mixed things about Fraction and, aside from a forgettable two-parter on Booster Gold, I'm unfamiliar with Remender. I'm not sure I'll get titles by them, but I'm open to trying a few, as I'm really impressed by the Marvel titles I've been reading recently.

It's not that I need a "#1" to pick up a series (I was quite content with issue #570 being Hickman's first on Fantastic Four, as I was with #114 being Morrison's first issue on X-Men), but, knowing that it's a fresh start that eschews some of the stuff from Marvel I've heard about and haven't been interested in (House of M, Civil War, Dark Reign, Siege, Fear Itself, etc.), so much the better.

(I left off Secret Invasion since due to the fact that it involves Skrulls and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is doing its own version of the story, I'm kind of interested in it.)

As for the numbering, it's not like Marvel hasn't pulled this stunt before (and DC, to a lesser extent) where they've had new #1's and then reverted to the original numbering. Overall, I'm not a big fan of this stunt, as I do appreciate the higher numbering. I also will say that, as much as I like picking up a story at its beginning and not having to know a ton of back-story, I also recognize that as a comic fan, there's something to be said for digging through back issue bins (or nowadays, scouring websites) for back issues to help enrich your enjoyment of the story you're currently reading. And since they're not doing a continuity re-set, like DC did, they might still reference past stories and, thus, spark my enjoyment of back-issue hunting!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote