View Single Post
Old July 10 2012, 09:07 PM   #1446
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
Before I get to that...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...by-voice-actor

The rumored Leviathan DLC was just confirmed by a VA who popped up on IMDB for it last night.
Hardly surprising considering the source of the leak, but still looking forward to it.

As this will be their first plot based DLC, how well it does or doesn't sell will probably show how much damage the EC managed to undo in the eyes of their customers. It'll probably also determine whether or not there will be any other paid DLC to follow it. I just hope it does enough business that it won't scupper the obviously planned "Retake Omega" DLC.

For my part, I think the EC has indeed made the game palatable again. The endings still leave a bad taste, but at least now it's tolerable.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I prefer the (even creepier) Synthesis. There are a lot of arguments against it that I don't really have the energy to deflect, but in the end I just can't get enough of the EDI monologue.
I don't like EDI's monologue that much. "I am alive." Yes, I know EDI is alive, she told me so back in London. The monologue seems to claim that undergoing synthesis caused her to become alive and give her to ability to understand organics, but she already had those qualities before, so what the fuck did she gain from synthesis? Nothing. So why is she doing the narration? Because it was a cheap, cynical attempt to create a feel-good ending for Casey Hudson's (alleged) favoured ending after it was mercilessly, and rightfully, criticised by fans who put more than 11 seconds of thought into the concept.

It had some cool music though, very reminiscent of Uncharted Worlds.
Welp!

I did say it was even creepier, so I even admit it's got major issues. And I really don't appreciate how the dialogue tries to shove you toward it a little, and that's coming from someone who prefers it over the endings all the same. (I also really dislike how Shepard automatically responds to the Destroy summary with, "there has to be another way." In general, I love ME3, but it took some of its auto-dialogue too far, it really did.)

As for the EDI speech being redundant... valid point, man. Still does it for me.
While people will of course have their favourites for their own reasons (all of them totally valid), as I think I've said before, from a purely practical standpoint of being able to continue the franchise; the only viable "canon" ending is high EMS destroy.

The Citadel is back up and running and relocated in Earth orbit, with an apparantly permanently operational conduit beam from (and to?) London. The reapers are all gone for good, nobody's eyes are glowing green and while the face of the galaxy has been changed forever, there's still potential for conflict and the introduction of new races.

With the reapers still around either as partners or as guardians, it rather eliminates and chance of a new external threat. The only way that can go is either eternal stagnation, or a rebellion against Catalyst-Shep. In which case proceed directly to "refuse" ending. Do not pass go, do not collect 500 credits. I doubt that crucible trick will work twice.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote