Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old July 10 2012, 06:53 PM   #1445
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: Mass Effect 3

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
I prefer the (even creepier) Synthesis. There are a lot of arguments against it that I don't really have the energy to deflect, but in the end I just can't get enough of the EDI monologue.
I don't like EDI's monologue that much. "I am alive." Yes, I know EDI is alive, she told me so back in London. The monologue seems to claim that undergoing synthesis caused her to become alive and give her to ability to understand organics, but she already had those qualities before, so what the fuck did she gain from synthesis? Nothing. So why is she doing the narration? Because it was a cheap, cynical attempt to create a feel-good ending for Casey Hudson's (alleged) favoured ending after it was mercilessly, and rightfully, criticised by fans who put more than 11 seconds of thought into the concept.

It had some cool music though, very reminiscent of Uncharted Worlds.
Welp!

I did say it was even creepier, so I even admit it's got major issues. And I really don't appreciate how the dialogue tries to shove you toward it a little, and that's coming from someone who prefers it over the endings all the same. (I also really dislike how Shepard automatically responds to the Destroy summary with, "there has to be another way." In general, I love ME3, but it took some of its auto-dialogue too far, it really did.)

As for the EDI speech being redundant... valid point, man. Still does it for me.