View Single Post
Old July 10 2012, 01:46 AM   #271
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
I hate to be one of those people, but today I am going to do it. The movie was no where near as good as the book.
As much as I enjoyed the moive, I'll agree the book does a better job at presenting a story of Lincoln fighting vampires. And there is a lot of cool stuff in the book that I'm disappointed didn't make it into the movie, like the Trinity, a triad of vampires who serve as personal protectors of Lincoln and his family.

However, a book has a bit more flexibility and can afford to be things that the movie can't. The book is Lincoln's life story, from birth to death and beyond. Such a thing would be undoable as a movie. Hell, I doubt the Lincoln biopic starring Daniel Day-Lewis is going to be a full account of his life. The purposes of the movie demand a specific story to tell, and for this movie that means Lincoln starting off as a humble vampire hunter and then badass vampire slaying president facing off against them in the Civil War.

Yes, they change facts and take things in completely different directions, but this sort of thing is nothing new in movies based on novels or history. And as a summer action movie, a central vampire villain would be expected by audiences.

All things considered, this movie is probably as good an adaption of the book as we could have hoped for.

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
How does the book end with Henry&Lincoln? Spoiler code I'm guessing if you don't mind spilling that.