View Single Post
Old July 9 2012, 03:17 PM   #215
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Guy he was forced to use Venom when his prior script had already been approved. My memory gets a bit fuzzy but I think they were less than 3 months from production when that change was forced upon him. He had to do a rewrite and do the best he could because Sony wasn't going to alter the production date. To some degree I understand that people say "but Sam still wrote emo Peter and that sucked", yes it did but Raimi did what he could in the time he had. Pressure, stress who knows but I don't think he intentionally made it bad. It's just what came out with too many cooks. He knew his name was still on it so I have to believe he wanted it to be as good as possible.

Further, Sony asked Sam back, with Toby--that's where the whole Vultress debacle came about. They were planning a Spidey 4 and Sony started meddling again. Ergo, creative differences and here we are now.
Tobey Maguire is laughing all the way to the bank. According to the TimesOnline his agent has negotiated a massive payday for Spiderman 4 and 5 in the form of $50million plus profit sharing. Can you say Cha-Ching? You will recall that Sam Raimi and Tobey are both slated to make their return to Spidey and the reported plan is that they will be shot back to back.
They were months from what Sam indicates was a Feb '10 start date, announcements of Malkovich and Hathaway as a father/daughter Vulture team as late as Dec '09.
I also love this quote which is only further proof of SONY being lying bastards.
Movieline doesn't say much else except that The Lizard, the villain that Dr. Connors becomes, won't be in the movie because apparently the Sony execs "can't bring themselves to sign off on such an odd-looking enemy — instead, they'd rather hew closer to villains with a human face."
Saying a non human face as a baddie wouldn't be accepted is a bit WTF excuse that does not jive imo.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote