View Single Post
Old July 9 2012, 04:08 AM   #234
Christopher
Writer

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Just watched It Came From Beneath the Sea, which I'm not sure if I've ever seen before. I like the verisimilitude of the submarine sequences, and the sense of mystery in the beginning. And the film does a pretty good job of selling the giant octopus as a credible concept, though it is somewhat exaggerated in scale. Good work by Harryhausen too. I'm not sure what to make of the central romantic triangle, though, since Faith Domergue's character seems equally interested in both men and Kenneth Tobey's the only one who seems to have a problem with that.

Given the timing, I was tempted to think that this monster was created (or rather, displaced from its natural habitat) by the same atomic explosions that spawned Godzilla. (Natural enough, since both movies referenced the numerous nuclear tests conducted in the Marshall Islands from 1946-58.) But then, if this movie were in continuity with Gojira, you'd think the characters wouldn't be so skeptical about giant sea monsters just a year after a 50-meter amphibious dinosaur devastated Tokyo -- and, if the release dates are anything to go by, just two months after Godzilla's return and his battle with Anguirus (if you go with the Shōwa continuity).