Thread: Tron: Uprising
View Single Post
Old July 6 2012, 10:18 PM   #62
Christopher
Writer

Re: Tron: Uprising

bullethead wrote: View Post
As for Quorra's face, the show has enough variety in facial styles that it fits in. I didn't find it to be too out of place, although it's obvious that they put a bit more effort into making her look good due to her guest star status.
Sometimes actors have likeness approval written into their contracts; perhaps Wilde wanted Quorra to look like herself. Or perhaps the producers of the show wanted to take advantage of her star power (much greater than Boxleitner's ever was) and make her as recognizable as possible. Besides, why mess with a face that stunning?

I have noticed the body proportion issue, but it's only really apparent when the camera is at flat angles to the character, like the end shot with Paige playing her instrument. When the camera is angled up or down at a female character, the proportions even out a bit. It's fairly obvious that the CGI meshes for the bodies were made to look good from certain angles (most likely to make the action shots look good), but as a result, the characters look terrible if not captured from the optimal angles... .
As I said, I found it most noticeable when the characters were moving. In conventional, 2D animation, the artists can squash and stretch a distorted character design as needed to produce whatever movement they want. But these are 3D models, essentially virtual marionettes being moved around into different poses with the proportions staying constant, and the abnormally long legs, wasp waists, and outthrust buttocks of this show's female bodies result in unnatural and unwieldy movements.

I suppose the male characters' legs are somewhat elongated too, but their torsos are big and long enough, and their waists and hips close enough to normal proportions, that their movements aren't as unnatural.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote