Thread: Ancient Aliens
View Single Post
Old July 5 2012, 10:37 PM   #72
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Ancient Aliens

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
But, again, I never said there was "nothing" out there, just that whatever may be out there is rare enough that, after decades of scanning the skies, we've found... nothing. The universe may even be teeming with life, with virtually none of it more advanced than fungi. It's even possible for a world to have numerous highly intelligent species that are nevertheless not capable of developing spacefaring technology. Do you see dolphins or elephants or pigs building rockets? They are at least as smart as us, but evolved in a manner that precludes the creation and use of complex tools.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be skeptical of claims that the universe is full of intelligent, spacefaring life forms, especially when you come up against comments suggesting that Von Neumann probes are almost within reach. Given that they are a fairly straightforward idea, the universe should be positively crawling with them if anyone had ever built them.

I also think it's essentially irrelevant if intelligent, spacefaring life exists but it is much too far away for us to ever encounter or even discover it. It might as well not exist, as a practical matter.
I only gave 3 of the more likely reasons, there are certainly more. An active or passive prime directive scenario might come into play...

The distance without ftl drives is a good reason to permeate the galaxy with slowly (by slow I mean 100,000s of mph, or a maximum of maybe .5 of speed of light) speading automated machines which can either develop on their own or make way for living beings.

Honestly such discussions are far more interesting to me than anything I'd watch on Ancient Aliens!

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ But like I said, why would aliens WANT to come to Earth? Any alien species that has the technology to even reach Earth in the first place is probably not going to consider us worth the trip. We would be the equivalent of trailer-park trash to them. So why would they bother?
Where did I ever say they needed to come to Earth? We have a lot of telescopes pointed at the sky, which are getting more powerful all the time, and we've never seen even one tiny shred of evidence for intelligent life outside Earth.

)
This is not a good reason to dismiss low observable technologies out in space right now like Von Neumann machines, because we routinely miss asteroids that come very close to us, in fact our record at locating just about anything in space is pretty abysmal and only improving slightly in the near future. This is mainly because there aren't many people looking, and we've only been looking with any great alacrity for a few decades in the entire timescale of humanity.