View Single Post
Old July 4 2012, 11:21 PM   #882
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Robb's his father's son. He never loses a battle and he also loses everything, including his life. As a strategist he's cunning and as a politican he is the right mix of noble and inept that so utterly destroyed his father.
He's Ned 2.0. I suspect the similarities are entirely intentional. Ned was a skilled warrior and leader of men. He triumphed in Robert's rebellion, he looked after the people of Winterfell....and then he was stupid enough to trust that Cercei would take Joffrey and flee the capital to protect him from Robert's wrath rather than turn on Ned like a viper to protect her son's false birthright. Ned, Ned, Ned, Ned, Ned....you assumed that since you would sacrifice your life for your children that Cercei was equally as noble. Robb discovers he's a born tactician and engenders the loyalty of men far older than him...yet he's naive enough to marry for love, repudiate a contract and assume there will be few consequences. He's Ned all over again. Did I mention I loved Ned?

It [the Red Wedding?]worked on the page,
Did it? Dammit, I want Robb to go out a hero if he has to exit the canvas

and with Richard Madden I think it'll work as a great tragedy for the show.
I think Robb's death will hit pretty hard, yes. Catelyn will certainly lose it times ten.

To me reading the books Robb came off as the least interesting Stark child, Richard Madden and the TV show has actually made me care about the character.
He sure did. Remember, I watched both seasons in a marathon over 2 weekends. Robb went from a complete non entity to "Who is THAT guy and when did he turn into his father?" There was nothing special; then there was the king of the north moment and I believed this person could be a benevolent king beloved by his people and feared as a warrior by enemies. He was striking fear into Tywin's troops and menacing Jamie Lannister. He was just a kid off to the side....same actor...what happened?

To me reading the books Robb came off as the least interesting Stark child, Richard Madden and the TV show has actually made me care about the character.
Madden's got some decided charisma going on there. That's why I think the writers are going to have a real problem scripting a proper exit and filling the void of his absence.

Kit Harrington was one of the few major casting choices that didn't instantly fit with me, and while I've accepted him at this point he wouldn't be in my top five or ten lists of performances from the show.
Me neither. Pity that Issac Hempsted Wright isn't older and more experienced so he could play the part. I don't think Harrington can carry the banner of the heroic male lead. He's okay, but not great. We need more Arya. Young female heroine to be.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote