View Single Post
Old July 4 2012, 08:05 PM   #91
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

It was a fun movie that I feel was basically buoyed by it's acting. It was very well cast, Andrew Garfield was great, I really believed him as an awkward teen kid. Chemistry with Emma Stone was palpable. Dennis Leary, Martin Sheen, Sally Fields, all very good. Uncle Ben's death had real resonance.

They did their best at trying to make the origin seem different than the Raimi, but the whole story still feels too familiar. It just hasn't been that long. While I realize there's actually a length of time between Raimi's first movie and this one, people still remember the sequels, I don't feel there's been that generational crossover.

I also think this movie would have been much better with more focus on the Peter/Gwen/NYPD/Capt-Stacy angle and less on the supervillain. That character stuff was so much better than the "story" (yet another lab experiment gone wrong, *yawn*).

I really did enjoy it, but I can already tell I'm not going to remember this as a really great movie at the end of the year when I think about summer movies. Kind of reminds me of a Marvel Studios movie like Thor or Capt America. Fun, entertaining, charming, formulaic, It'll start fading from memory pretty soon.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote