View Single Post
Old July 3 2012, 07:13 PM   #1445
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I'm surprised at all the positivity surrounding this movie. It's got a near unanimous "A" vote here and a 94% at Rotten Tomatoes. So I have to ask... What did this movie deliver that universally panned movies like Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Green Lantern didn't? I enjoyed The Avengers, it was indeed a lot of fun, but to me, it's pretty much the same as any other superhero movie that's come out over the last decade. I don't see what sets this one apart. Hopefully someone can shed some light on what makes this movie work so well for so many people.

i know a lot of people answered this...but for me:

Transformers -- there was WAAAY too much detail. Forget HD & Blu Ray -- I couldn't make out the robot characters. And on top of that...i didn't really care about any of them, even Optimus Prime.

Green Lantern -- i actualy thought the 1st half was really good. But when they dumped the other Lanterns and made Hal the sole GL protecting & saving Earth (and subsequently, the universe)... that was lame. It felt like they ran out of money, and had to scale things way down. Even though it was a solo movie...having Hal part of a GL team would have worked FAR BETTER. They could make him "the Hero" by doing things that other GL's never thought of doing. Being human, he could have had some crazy ideas of how to use his ring (vs. a "standard procedure" GL's might use).

With Avengers, i cared about even the minor characters, and was sad that Coulson died. And this really felt like a team, with different strengths & personalities.

And on top of it -- there was just enough humor, making it feel like a comic book movie, without being tooo comic-booky.

And lastly...this fit right in with the previous movies (especially with the special scenes)...so this was anticipated, like the next episode of a favorite TV show i'm watching.

Now, it didn't have as deep a message as the others, but it still was a lot of fun for me.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote