View Single Post
Old July 3 2012, 06:11 PM   #769
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

193. Horrible Bosses: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - Three guys (Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis & Charlie Day) have horrible bosses, so they set out to take care of their situation. If you're asking yourself why they don't just quit, that's dealt with in the movie. The bosses are played by Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell and Jennifer Aniston. This was a surprisingly good comedy mainly because the people who played the bosses were on top of their game. Kevin Spacey was a real ass if there ever was one, Colin Farrell played against type, giving us a weirdo with a recedeing hairline, and then there's Jennifer Aniston. I'm not a fan of hers, but this is hands down the best role she's ever played. She played an over confident sex-crazed dentist who fooled around with her patients while they were anesthetized and unconscious, and sexually harrassed her assistant, one of our three main guys. She was damn hot too. I didn't recognize her at first. She came off as any guy's dream boss, but given that our guy was engaged and a bit milquetoast, she came off as a horrible boss to him. Donald Sutherland, Bob Newhart, Jaime Foxx and Ioan Gruffudd also make appearances and the latter two also play against type. Their roles are small but funny and memorable. Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman also did The Switch, but this time, they don't have any scenes together.

194. Hot Tub Time Machine: (✩✩½) - Live TV - Four guys go on vacation to a lodge where a hot tub with unusual properties sends them into their own past, Quantum Leap-style. It's not a good comedy, but it's weird enough to be at least a little fun. The movie also has Rob Corddry and Craig Robinson and they're always good.

195. Eat Pray Love: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - Julia Roberts plays a woman who's sick of her life and decides to leave her husband, then her younger lover in order to travel for a year. The meat of the movie is divided into three parts outlined in the title. First, in Italy, she learns how to truely enjoy living and taking it all in, including good food (eating). Then she tries letting go while in an ashram in India (pray). The third theme, love, was the most interesting, because I didn't know how it would unfold. The trailers make it seem like she has a great fling with Javier Bardem, but that doesn't quite happen the way you'd think, and there's more to this part than I expected. The movie isn't super deep, but it does hit on some good stuff. And it doesn't hit you over the head with any sort of philosophy the way the a lot of critics suggest either. It falls into the "standard Hollywood entertainment" category, but it's good and I liked it.

196. Columbus Circle: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A 35 year old heiress (Selma Blair) to a vast fortune hasn't left her New York apartment in 17 years. Then one day, her elderly neighbor is killed and a young couple move in (Jason Lee and Amy Smart). She then finds herself the target of something that's about to go down. Also stars Giovanni Ribisi, Beau Bridges, Kevin Pollack and Robert Guillaume. This movie was released directly to home video earlier this year and wasn't well recieved by many. I really liked it though. I like Selma Blair and the rest of the cast, and found it to be a pretty good thriller despite a few things at the end that were half-baked, rushed or glossed over.

Theatre: 9
DVD/Blu-Ray: 72
Live TV: 81
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 25
Internet: 4
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote