View Single Post
Old July 3 2012, 02:14 PM   #176
Christopher
Writer

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
As I said, a KA-TP war would happen on a The only local powers of any size that would not be involved (at the start) would be the Talarians, the First Federation, the Sheliak and the Regnancy of the Carnelian Throne. And those last two aren't even that local. Nearly all the local powers would be fighting each other. While that may or may not be as destructive or deadly as previous conflicts, I think it would be a milestone in the history of the Local Powers enough to warrant a somewhat exaggerated name like "The Galactic War".
That just seems like starting with an arbitrary conclusion and then constructing an argument to justify it, which is backward reasoning. What reason is there to think that anyone in the 24th century would go there in the first place? Why is that a desirable premise at all? Why would their nomenclatural decisions be based on contrived analogies to events from 20th-century Earth history? Just because some of us can see it in those terms, it doesn't follow that the characters in-universe would think of it in the same way. After all, WWI is much, much more remote for them and a much, much tinier fragment of their collective history.

If anything, if such a war happened, it seems far more likely that the Federation would call it something like "The Typhon War," while the Pact would call it something like "The Khitomer War." At most, they might call it something like "The Quadrant War," and even that would be a huge exaggeration. Maybe "The Arm War" would work, though it would still only involve the central portion of the Orion Arm. They're sufficiently aware of the scale of the galaxy that they'd all recognize how ludicrously hyperbolic it would be to call it a "Galactic War."

Yes, the Dominion was a giant, but it was a giant on the other side of the galaxy; they were limited by what they could bring through the wormhole.
Yeah, but at least there's some actual reason for referring to that as a galactic-scale conflict, because it affected civilizations on opposite sides of the galaxy. It was global rather than local. Think of a galactic arm as analogous to a continent. A war between, say, Japan and China would be local -- or rather, regional -- whereas a war between Japan and the United States would be considered global in scope.

Only tangentially relevant, but I can't really recall people referring to the Borg Invasion as a "war".
I never claimed it was, so I don't know why it's even slightly relevant. I'm not talking about labels or historical analogies, I'm talking about the relative magnitude of events. Some people seem to have this strange expectation that the novels are building toward some event which would be even huger and more disastrous than the events of Destiny, and that doesn't make sense. The worst disaster of all has already happened; the subsequent books have just been about the aftereffects, the turbulent process of building a new astropolitical order out of the wreckage.

On a related note, though, the Star Charts are really dreadful in terms of the present novelverse continuity. I find it hard to believe that the Klingon Empire and the Federation are so huge, while everyone else isn't. I mean, you can make it make sense, I guess, but it just seems like something that would come up in discussion more (in-universe).
Breen and Tholian territories are pretty huge too. But the fact that the Federation and its Klingon allies are the biggest players on the board has come up repeatedly. It's the whole reason the Typhon Pact nations are so worried about being overrun by them. No, nobody's actually written a scene of people looking at a map and saying "Gosh, isn't it alarming that the Federation and Klingons have so much more territory than we do?" But that's because they don't need to. It's not about spatial volume, it's about the relative status and influence of the states in question, and that's a crucial element underlying the events of the Typhon Pact narrative.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; July 3 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote