View Single Post
Old July 3 2012, 09:58 AM   #20
Vice Admiral
Re: DS9 - Where to start?

Sci wrote: View Post
If you're interested in the post-series DS9 novels (commonly called the DS9 Relaunch), it's generally recommended that you read them in publishing order.
However, there is one place where there is a major exception to that rule. IMHO, it's much better to read Unity immediately after Rising Son and then read The Left Hand of Destiny 1 & 2.

Again IMHO, there is a certain narrative momentum achieved throughout the Mission Gamma books and Rising Son that lead directly to a climax in Unity. The Left Hand of Destiny, as good as it is, is a two-novel digression that has nothing whatsoever to do with the main narrative that grinds that momentum to a halt.

Thematically, the The Left Hand of Destiny duology, with its focus on Worf, Martok and the Klingon Empire, works better leading into the The Worlds of Deep Space Nine trilogy, as they both focus on the worlds and species and cultures of the characters rather than on the station.

Also, realize that this was the originally intended publishing order. When unexpected Real Life Events delayed the release of Unity, TLHoD was pushed up to fill in the gap in the schedule. So, in an ideal world, this is the publishing/reading order that we would've gotten anyway.

Therefore, I feel that this is the best reading order for that segment of the DS9R...
  • Rising Son by S.D. Perry (2003)
  • Unity by S.D. Perry (2003)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One by J.G. Hertzler and Jeffrey Lang (2003)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two by J.G. Hertzler and Jeffrey Lang (2003)
  • Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. I (2004)
YMMV, of course. Happy reading!
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; July 3 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote